Dare to make this Wagyu beef (Japanese beef known for superior quality) dish at home or visit Black+Blue Restaurant in Vancouver during this Christmas season.
2–3 lbs (1kg) Wagyu beef cheeks
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 onions, peeled and chopped
1 whole head celery, washed and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 handful fresh thyme (on sprigs)
2 sprigs rosemary
1 handful Italian parsley stems
Veal stock to cover
1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon, Mission Hill Family Estate
1. Season raw beef cheeks with salt and pepper.
2. Warm pan on a stovetop on ¾ heat.
3. Add grapeseed oil and a small nub of butter to heated pan.
4. Sear beef cheeks on both sides until golden brown.
5. Set aside in braising insert.
6. Sauté, in the same pan used for beef cheeks, vegetables and mirepoix mixture of celery, carrots and onions until caramelized
7. Deglaze with wine.
8. Add mirepoix to braising insert, or pot with beef.
9. Add veal stock until beef cheeks are completely covered.
10. Cover braising pot.
11. Cook in oven at 315°F (157°C) until beef cheeks are fully cooked and tender (approximately 4–5 hours).
Recipe courtesy of Chef Ryan Gauthier, Corporate Chef of Glowbal Restaurant Group